Re: Hero Wars to HeroQuest conversions

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:04:10 +0000 (GMT)

What we did, after an interval of being puzzled and frustrated (we'd assumed the new system was backwards compatible, since there was nothing to indicate otherwise) was recalibrate our PCs and
campaign-created NPCs to fit the BA/OiD standards. We looked at the single-figure resistances, and also at the supplied NPCs (recalculating their end totals for the new augment style), and came up with a table of what each skill level actually meant in terms of the people they'd naturally be comparing themselves with.

Reckon your warrior should be about as good as a clan champion, but not a tribal champion? Then play with her abilities until that's the result you get after "standard" augments (whatever that means). This generally meant about half a mastery of increase, IIRC, but it was a while ago now.

We'd generated under HW rules - sort of. Again, our assumptions about starting level and those implied but not stated in the game didn't quite match, so we corrected all of that at the same time. It does help that my PC development rules, adopted at the same time as the recalibration, are descriptive rather than limiting, so there's no sums to do.