Re: Re: Wyters and Animals

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:22:34 -0600

Roderick Robertson says:

>Daimones are entities of the god plane and cannot change anymore (Since that
>Time-thingy came along at the end of the Lightbringer's quest... see "the
>Difference between Mortals and Gods" TR 96) So a daimone does not "grow" any
>more than Orlanth "grows" any more. However, a wyter can have undiscovered
>abilities ("What? when did you get the ability to put out fires?") and
>wyters are the "holders" of all that wonderful magic that questers bring
>back from Heroquests and "give" to the clan. This is how the wyter can
>"grow" from the standard 10w+Community support (TR 101) to the level of the
>"Your Wyter (TR 102)

         Worshippers (members, really) strengthen the daimon, right? Or is heroquesting always required? If your clan doubles in size over, say, 30 years without producing any notable heroquesters, your wyter will still grow stronger. Or am I misunderstanding this?

        I don't have Anaxial's Roster with me, but as I recall the section on umbroli suggested that Orlanthi heroes often become winds after death; some of them then go on to become much more powerful. Presumably this happens through worship of some sort; does it require heroquesting or does simply increasing the number of people telling the stories and sacrificing to that wind do the trick?

>Greg & I discussed the change from War-clan to Peace-clan ala KoDP, that it
>requires a change of Wyters - so clans who have stayed essentially the same
>type (war or peace) for the last 1600 years will have great stores of
>magical energy (in the form of discovered abilities and gifted magic) while
>those that change every few years have much less powerful wyters since they
>swap them every few years, not giving them a chance to "build up" their
>magic.

        You can't just "pack up" you peace wyter to rest in the Loom House while you hall the war wyter out of his iron jar, I suppose....

Peter Larsen