Re: Re: status of hq publications

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:34:42 +0000 (GMT)

Ah, so the original concept was correct, even if it used the wrong vocabulary. HQ sales, down. AFAIK ORQ ("original" Rune Quest? aka RQ2 and RQ3?) and WB&RM don't have anyone trying to sell new material, but for HQ, we do. And, it seems, people who still want to buy hard-copy.

Come to think of it, ORQ *reprints* are doing quite well: but is that for the system, or the background? Personally I buy it for the background, but I wonder if that's the norm? There's plenty of RQ campaigns still going, after all.

So, how come the Mongoose stuff is selling well, and the stuff those of us on this list actually want, isn't? I mean, "more expensive" can't be a selling point, can it? "Split up into lots of books" can't be it, either. It might be the system? Much easier for the average RPGer to get to grips with, it has to be said. The glossy covers? Dunno. But if we can learn from it, that would be good. I just have a horrible feeling that having some full-time employees on the job may have something to do with it :(