Re: Re: Wyters and Animals

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:24:32 -0600

Jeff Kyer says:

>Maybe. But it depends on just how they work it. But I think in this
>case it depends purely on how powerful they were in life. They
>_recover_ power as their worship increases but there's a finite upper
>limit based on your power in life when you still could learn new
>things. Sometimes, you know things but just don't have the juice to get
>them working....

        That's a pretty neat idea.

>No, it needs heroquesting SPECIFICALLY to increase that wyter's
>magnitude. Tellign stories about how cool the Black Oak Clan wyter is
>doesn't help the wyter (though it IS a cool wyter) unless it results in
>more worship -- at this point they've joined the community and... oh...
>they're in the clan (by definition).

        I don't seem to have been clear here; I assume that simply joining a group with a wyter (whether it's a clan, a tribe, a group of carpenters, a warband, a temple, a stead, whatever) doesn't do much for the wyter (or hearth daimon or whatever). What benefits it is that all those extra people are telling its stories, putting out saucers of milk for it, saying prayers, thinking happy thoughts, chanting the correct verses during the rituals, sacrificing MPs on Holy Days (scratch that last one), etc..

        So heroquesting does not seem to be useful unless you want to increase the power of your wyter quickly or give it new "feats." It will get stronger as more people join the community, right? (Which is what I meant by "growing" in the original post -- not a natural growth process, but not something that requires major magical action.)

>Not unless you want a really, really cranky peace wyter -- however, two
>or three 'standard' wyter might be known by the clan. I don't think the
>process is entirely random.

        Well, that's what I was thinking. I'd rather not have wyters that are turned on and off at a whim -- it takes some of the awesome nature of it away. Although I kind of like the idea of a wyter who once was the founder of a war clan, a ferocious Storm-Riding Warrior in late life, and changing it to a peace wyter by heroquesting to remind it that it once was a proud husband and father who turned to war only because of necessity.

Peter Larsen