Re: Heroquest rules - Equipment

From: Lev Lafayette <lev_lafayette_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:38:20 -0700 (PDT)

> > evil_edy666 <evil_edy666_at_...> wrote:
> > Throughout the rules I read statements like
> equipment augmenting
> > target numbers etc. Where do these numbers come
> from and more
> > importantly how do I determine what those numbers
> are? Example is I
> > have 2 players both are wearing a harden leather
> and wield dual Short
> > Swords. But no where in the rules can I find a
> mention of how I am to
> > determine what bonuses the equipment might give?
> Or is up to me to
> > just wing these numbers and make something up?
>
> As noted in a previous message, page 78 gives the
> guidelines.
>
> In general, "small" weapons get a +1 bonus, "medium"
> a +3, and "large" get
> +5.
> I arbitrarily decided on the categories, but
> basically, "small" weapons are
> things like hatchets, daggers, shortswords, pointy
> sticks, etc. "Medium"
> weapons are the standard of their type -
> broadswords, 1H axes and maces,
> spears, and the like. Finally, "Big" wepaons are
> pretty much all
> two-handers.

The stubborn runequest-trained simulationist in me has never liked this method; I've always preferred to have different weapons cause different wound levels, rather than have them as augments to an ability roll.

> Armor is also divided in a similar 1/3/5 system,
> with shields adding a +1.
> Armor is generally considered along a fabric angle,
> with leather, furs,
> cotton padding, etc. at the low end, flexible metal
> (Chain, lamellar, Scale)
> armor in the middle, and Full Plate at the upper
> end.

Ditto, armour reduces the wound level.

This method can also be used in social situations etc.

YHQMV, Lev

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/text5.com