Re: Re: Heroquest rules - Equipment

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:22:41 +0100 (BST)

> "Lev Lafayette" said:
> > The stubborn runequest-trained simulationist in me
> has
> > never liked this method; I've always preferred to
> have
> > different weapons cause different wound levels,
> rather
> > than have them as augments to an ability roll.

My inner simulationist is also a sword-geek, and says that if you're going to simulate differences between weapons at all, you should do it properly. "Properly", even with my limited knowledge of weaponry, is a fairly large book that would make Rolemaster look small and simple. So I tell the inner simulationist to shut up, and have all equipment as named abilities or circumstantial modifiers (for when the unarmoured guy is trying to outrun the one in full plate rather than fight him). The arguments over whether a 32" blade is better than a 28", where the balance point should be, and the precise geometry of the hilt, can be saved for the next conversation between me, a swordsmith, and my bank manager.

Really, the level of detail to go into depends on where inaccuracy rather than imprecision jars your own suspension of disbelief, and that will vary. Keeping it vague is usually safest, though.

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/