Re: Gamers percieved issues with HQ/HW - a sample

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 15:37:11 -0000

Funny, every one of these observations were on the top of everyone's list in designing the HQ2.0 rules and especially the Glorantha portion of those rules.

> 1. Augments lead to arguments -- 5 votes I think this has been
discussed many times - should there be a cap, etc, etc

Done. The new augment rules are much simpler, easier, and quicker. I think people will like them a lot.

> 2. The Scenarios in the main HQ rule book did not appeal much, and
we could not find anyready to run. This one surprised me, especially considering White Wolf products are very successful without scenarios, but maybe people need more ideas on what can be done with the system?

I think people will like very very much what the first major scenario setting for HQ 2.0 will be. For more information, come to Continuum.

> 3. We find the Gloranthan community and background too esorteric and
ancient lore reliant, and "elitist", and have been made to feel like idiots for rmaking mistakes by players who knew it better than us, or just could not learn enough to feel confident - 2 people, slightly different but I put them together in this category. One of them felt alienated from the lists, and seemed to feel themselves a victim of "Gloranthan politics" - they were quite aggressive in tone, and I narrowly escaped having to hear the whole story.

This is another key issue for us. A top goal is you do not need to have an advanced degree in Gloranthology to run a Gloranthan game, let alone play in it. Again, I think people will like the first major scenario setting. A lot.

> 4. I could not work out how the magic system works, and it's all way
too rules heavy for me. Too much maths.

Magic rules have been heavily overhauled. They are now much more intuitive, iconic and simplified. This took a lot of time from top minds, but the finished product has gotten rave reviews from the playtesters.

> 5. I could not work out how to write adventures for it.
> So I think help in writing adventures may be a major aid. I doubt
the results are that representative as most of the people I asked have gamed with each other at some point, and most own MANY rpg systems but play relatively few, so may not be representative in nay way. About half were RQ grognards who never made the transition, and yet none have picked up Mongoose RQ.

Again, I think people will find this easier - especially once the Gateway to Glorantha setting comes out.

For more information, come to Continuum. Or listen to Darren's podcasts from Tentacles. Or wait for the new product to come out, buy it, and enjoy!

Jeff