Re: Fyrds massing on the borders

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:32:22 -0800

> On p44 of TR, under Combat and Warfare, it says "the fyrd never leaves the
> tula, since it's purpose is defence, not raiding or conquest", then goes
on
> to describe what happens when two fyrds fight each other. Does this only
> ever happen on the exact boundary between two clans, when both think the
> other is attacking them?

Taking the fyrd off the tula to attack another clan is a *big* step in war-escalation. If you take the Fyrd along, you are basically saying "we're here to stomp you into the mud and take your land/sheep/women. It is *war*, as opposed to raiding. You are leaving your own lands undefended when you do this, and you are probably taking your clan wyter-object along for good measure. If you win, you've probably destroyed your opponents (not "killed them all" necessarily, but dispersed/captured/absorbed them). If you lose - well, how fast can you run?

RR