Re: Re: Games for wee beasties

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:21:28 -0700

>It

> might be interesting to try either or both genres with the
> genre-independent HeroQuest 2 when that appears.

This type of statement I just don't get.

What is genre-dependent of HQ1? Sure, it's set in Glorantha, and all the examples feature fantasy elements, but really, what's to prevent anyone from taking the base mechanics and playing any period/genre of game with it - Westerm, Horror, Sci-Fi, Spy, Romance, etc.? The same is true of almost any game system; I played Pirates and English Civil War/Three Musketeer Swashbuckling with Runequest long before there was a "Pirates" ruleset for it (and there still isn't a "Swashbuckling" ruleset). There was much more conversion needed for RQ than I can see for HQ, especially in a game genre which doesn't use magic - heck, there go most objections to HQ1 right there! No special rules, everything resolved with one mechanic (with variations). keywoprds would need to be "made up" if you worried about them, but they were really just suggestions of ability mixes anyway, so "Schoolgirl" or "Amatuer Sleuth" should work perfectly fine.

I can't think of no RPG off the top of my head whose core mechanics wouldn't work fine for any style of play. Sure, the fluff around the mechanics may state that this is a Horror game, but so what? it's just a result matrix when you strip off the fluff. (okay, some games have really atrocious mechanics, but that's a problem with the core rules and the author, not a period/genre problem).

RR