Re: Public relations

From: Paul King <paul_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 06:33:43 +0100

On 2 Sep 2008, at 23:31, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> Christian,
>
> From my understanding (I wasn't there), the version that was "sold" at
> Continuum was only charged enough to cover the cost of printing. It
> was not
> intended as a mass publication, or to be a "Convention-only" book.
>
> Those who got a copy of that version were playtesters, and were
> expected to
> send final revisions to David Dunham, who is collating all comments
> into the
> final version o fthe rules. As such, it does not make sense to make
> a PDF of
> not-final rules available, since David is finishing up with the
> revisions.

While the book was released as a "limited playtest edition" there were no NDAs or agreements associated with the purchase. At least some unsold copies went to Leisure Games for ordinary retail sale.

I don't see any reason why in principle the release could not be extended to include other HeroQuest fans. It is more likely that a general release of a pdf has been rejected for the reasons you state and there are practical problems with arranging a more limited release. (Probably it would take too much time and effort that would be better dedicated to getting the final release out the door).

While not exactly reflecting the current state of the rules, Darran's podcasts of the demo game at Tentacles should give some of the flavour. I hope the forthcoming podcast of the "Rune Magic in Glorantha" panel will also help explain the new magic rules (maybe even including some details that are not in the current draft - I am sure that Lords of the West will quite significantly expand the section on Sorcery).