Re: HQ2 Official Site?

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 03:14:04 -0400

John Machin wrote:

>With a wit (and mournful self-defeating attitude) like that, you
>belong on the IGQ List LC...

*smile*
I'm going to assume that's the immoderate list.

>I sure hope there is some internet hype about HQ2 when a product seems
>more likely to emerge.

I'd love to think that the case. (And sorry, after years of "soon", I'm going to take "it's all but done and you'll see it in a couple of months if all goes well" with a heaping of salt.)

But hell's yeah. I have players from games past asking when it is coming out, since I've talked so excitedly about running games in any number of genres with it.
I've been digging out my old books from numerous games and genres, trying to figure out which seem to be good examples of things I'd love to demonstrate you can convert, or do something with a similar feel/mood, so I can show people how awesomely flexible and neat it is. Old Dungeon crawls, Gothic horror, Cyberpunk, Swashbuckling, etc. I've been wracking my brain for what I might propose to write for the system besides Glorantha, since that's got a list a mile long of people who already have products in the works, and having diverse worlds/genres for the system would only help cement it as a toolkit that every gamer should have.

>Not being able to direct people to somewhere
>they can read about the game makes it hard to spruik it effectively.

Exactly. All too true. And you get valuable brownie points from the judges for teaching me a new word. *grin*

>Glorantha.com is handy and interesting and all but hardly
new-user-friendly.

Also entirely counter-productive because it isn't a game about Glorantha. I mean, yes, Glorantha is a setting, and the first setting, and intimately tied to the history of the development of HQ2. But HQ2 isn't Glorantha. Glorantha.com should be about Glorantha (I've always been a bit surprised it doesn't have more direct support of the Mongoose stuff, myself. I get there are issues about that, I just find it unfortunate.)

HQ2 should have a site of its own, agreed. Downloads and discussions of the game rules. I loved that HQ1 had the Game Aids download available, it's what actually brought me to the system and to Glorantha. (I was looking for a generic system, and loved what I could understand of it from discussions online, and then the Game Aids showed me the core was something I wanted to use.) Some of that nice artwork that has been mentioned. Info on systems, a way to relate to a fan base that isn't on this list, since it isn't a Glorantha-only game. I'd love to see it.

Heroquest.com is owned in Taiwan, of course, (and I have no idea if they would want to have a site for both systems) but as of about 5 minutes ago, heroquest2.com is owned by me, so it isn't like the Powers that Be would have any trouble getting a hold of it so they can build just such a site.

LC

LC