Re: Re: HQ 2

From: Raymond Turney <raymond_turney_at_...>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 19:54:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

It is worth mentioning that while RPGs are "storytelling games",  they are not purely storytelling tools.  They have to offer a believable abstraction of reality as the background to the story, and reduce the number of disagreements among naturally contentious players and the GM to a tolerable level.

So a lot of the rules in an RPG will have no readily understood storytelling equivalent.

As for the fight with the Ringwraith, Tolkien's problem was to make the reader feel the awesomeness of the power Frodo is going up against, using the words of the English language as his tools.  A GM has to be able to make the player feel that the monsters might kill his character, while making that actually unlikely, while at the same time insuring that all primary PC's get a share of the action.  Since the challenges are different, and the tools to overcome them are different, the issue of how Tolkien wrote Frodo's first Ringwraith encounter is of limited relevance to RPG game rules..

As for HQ 2nd edition, it looks interesting and I'll probably buy a copy.  That said, my system, Fire and Sword, available for free at BRP Central is somewhat different.  My players did not much like HeroQuest I when it came out, and I thought that even if they liked it there was much too much room for argument in HQ to make it a good choice for my group.

If HQ solves the problems your group needs solved, I encourage you to play it.  If it does not solve those problems, I encourage you to play another system, steal what seems useful from HeroQuest and move on.  Arguing on the HQ list with the people who like HeroQuest about the basic design philosophy of HQ strikes me as worse than a sin, it is a waste of time.

Ray,