Re: Extended Contests

From: Jamie <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:57:42 -0000

> Mind you, the Simple Contests were also hinged on the "If you act
> first and seize the initiative, you can force them to defend on
> terms they don't like", so it isn't like they were disjointed,
> imho.

Hinged on is a bit strong, it was one way of viewing contests, one that I didn't see eye to eye with because I stopped statting NPS, so if a player was aiming an action at a weakness they would get a lower resistance if it seemed applicable and the idea was interesting to them and me, not because the player had correctly analysed the tactical benefits.

> And when two PCs interact?

In my opinion HQ does not handle this scenario very well. I have toyed with the idea of having both PCs roll against a GM resistance in a similar way to Prime Time Adventures to allow for a greater variety of outcome, better orthogonal conflict handling, and to keep it more consistent with the way I handle simple contests.

Of course all of this is very personnel to my preferences. HQ2 is far more aligned with these than previous versions.

Jamie
(been on holiday so response delayed)