RE: Re: SuperHeroQuest

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 00:34:24 -0000

Hey, no problem. It was a pleasure.

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of L C
Sent: 29 November 2009 22:16
To: HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Re: SuperHeroQuest

Matthew Cole wrote:

> Hey LC
>
> I spoke to Robin Laws at Dragonmeet. This is what he had to say

Hey Matt, that's terribly nice of you.

Let me put on my curmudgeon hat and see what this gives us.

> "I'd treat comparisons between super-powers exactly as before, as being on
> the same absolute scale. Superman and Spider-Man both have super speed.

What absolute scale? When did HQ2 suddenly develop an absolute scale?

> Superman simply has a lot more of it. Spider-Man's speed and Daredevil's
> would differ in that Spidey's is extraordinary and could do otherwise
> impossible things with it, where Daredevil's isn't and would be subject to
> normal human limitations.

Seems to be what most here on the list agreed would be the way to approach it.

> Daredevil may be fast, but can't outrun a horse
> without breaking credibility. Spidey conceivably could, though you might
> decide that would be credible for him do so while web-slinging but not on
> foot.

Would, actually, depending on the situation. Some kind of "race to get somewhere" situation - definitely he needs webslinging. Sprinting to catch the horse before the guy riding on it gets away? I'd probably give him a shot with just running.

Regardless, clearly a credibility test situation.

> In a superhero genre pack you might create supporting text loosely
> quantifying what you get within certain mastery levels--how many masteries
> of super-fast you need to outrun a horse, a car, a jet, a warp-drive star
> ship, and so on.

Wait. What? So Robin would suggest HQ2 go to "higher is more raw ability in this"? Really? I do recall this is mentioned as an option in the rule book on the super strength idea - that you cap normal abilities at a certain level but allow extraordinary ones to keep expanding. I always reconciled that in my head as not a sense of "you must have these masteries to be superhuman" but as an acknowledgement that there is only so much dominance of narrative effect you can have without being superhuman in a game with superhuman elements.

i.e. in a game with the possibility of superhuman strength, it is more acceptable for a player with superhuman strength to make it the dominant characteristic and narrative focus than a player who didn't take superhuman strength. (Even if their strength remains an important character element.)

But isn't this (especially with a "You need to have 2 masteries to outrun a train") almost directly counter to the entire premise of "your number doesn't mean you are actually stronger or faster"? Now you have a flat element of "trains are 2 masteries in speed' and I thought HQ2 was designed not to work that way.

> You could might even find it desirable to draw in the
> various quantifications we've been given in various Marvel or DC handbooks
> over the years, if you feel your game would benefit from following
> them. Of
> course these are often ignored for dramatic purposes by comic book
> writers."

Agreed on them ignoring that often.

So wow. "Go back to using an absolute scale" is really not the response I expected from him.

Thanks again for asking him, Matthew.

LC

Yahoo! Groups Links