Re: questions on upcoming publication schedule/old stuff

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 17:53:59 -0500

  Douglas Seay wrote:

> Nope. All the HW and HQ1 era books are being relegated to "historical
> curiosity". The official reason is to avoid making everyone go hunt up
> a copies of King of Sartar or Elder Secrets, but it wouldn't surprise me
> if it was just a bit of the new folks ousting remnants of the old guard.
> Either way, DP:GoK is a good source, but is no longer considered
> canonical.

Ah. I was unaware of this announcement. So it HAS been "reimagined" as I asked. It is considered a fresh start, drawing from the past but in no way directly beholden to it?
That's nice. (Lovely in fact) and I wish I had known that.

> So far, what I've seen in S:KoH, it has done a good job of covering a
> lot of the material in TR, but not as much for DP:GoK. S:KoH just
> doesn't have the space to cover every hamlet, battleground, stream, holy
> spot, and whatnot that.

Makes sense. I'd certainly use DP:GoK in my game. It was broad enough that specific details aren't likely to get in the way, had no stats, and had a nice map.

> > 2. What is the expected order of published material coming out?
> Where should I have looked to learn this?
>
> They are officially on a "slow and steady" pace. The updates get posted
> here or at WorldOfGlorantha every now and again. I think the next one
> is the Pavis book, followed by Whitewall. If they all have the same
> size and quality of S:KoH, then we can't complain about the delivery
> schedule. That is one big book, and so far it has been awesome.

I've heard.
And yeah, I remember hearing Pavis, then Whitewall.

> There is also a stream of development coming from Mongoose games, but
> they focus on the 2nd age and use an updated version of Runequest. I've
> never looked at any of them, but they might have stuff that interests you.

Some of them are excellent. Really. I don't like or use the system, but a lot of the books are system-lite in detail and full of just neat things. I don't know how canonical they are being considered by Greg or the MoonDesign team, but there's definitely things worth working with there.

> BTW: Don't get hung up on "officially published material" because it too
> will change over time. I still have the copy of RQ2 I bought back in
> '83 and while a lot of the big picture stuff is unchanged, most of the
> details are completely different. You certainly can find "modern"
> Sartar within those pages. Heck, Sartar used to be littered with guilds
> and small towns. Grab what you like and and forge your own path.

Yeah. Actually announcing "It's all on restart" is a godsend if they have done it, because it should be very freeing. LC