RE: Question about play

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 08:58:52 +0100

We do it like Stuart's group.

I suspect that, at the start, you'll have to lead by example (narrating each outcome yourself) but I recommend you encourage your players to have a go at narration of both victorious and defeated outcomes.

We find it particularly useful to give players narration responsibility for their own defeats. I recommend encouraging them towards enthusiasm for this.

The main reason for my recommendations is that this gives players ownership of the most important part of the game. It also gets the group into a cooperative mode (distinct from Stuart's observation of "adversarial", traditional gaming). Particularly with defeats, it can show that failure can be fun