Re: Re: Question about play

From: Manuel MOLINIER <manuel.molinier_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:39:10 +0200

I think that to make it click with HQ2 one solution can be to forget any other RPG you've played (in terms of rules) and think of yourself as a book writer or a movie/tv show director. Try to think of how you would run your favorite movie or TV show in HQ2.

What decide of the time spent on a challenge is not the number of HP of the monster but the emotional interest of the scene and the time you wish to allocate to it.

You are to decide if you want to resolve something in 1 action or attach more importance to it. In Conan or in SW or others the director decide that climbing the stair meeting guards /reaching the spaceship with Storm troopers will take only a few minutes of the movie time. You roll a simple contest and depending on the level of success/failure you describe the run with some exchanged blows, or the capture of the characters and you move to the next scene.

On a fast running scene the goal of the contest can/should be more high level to keep the pace fast (reaching your spaceship). On a slow running and high intensity scene each meter or small action count to keep the thrill (taking the door, breaking the door security, retreating as the enemy barrage fire, taking a good shoot at the enemy, running for your life, starting your spaceship ... ).

There was a subject on this list I think about running a Dungeon crawl in HQ2. If you can put your hand on it in the archive it could also help you, But the general idea is that HQ2 is more oriented to running the Moria run in LotR the movie or book way than with the grity details of a D&D fight.

Another big difference I see is that HQ2 focus on the PC actions/goals and less on the NPC action. While the GM describe the goal of NPC, the action is driven by the PC action. No long minutes where the DM chooses the right kind of attack his monster will try to do.

Manuel