Re: Re: Question about play

From: Stuart Laird <bugbear_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:46:54 +1000

Hmm,
My feeling is that what might not be clicking for you is the drama. If the scene should have dramatic impact then you use a dramatic resolution mechanic.
If it is something that is not 'in camera' then at most a simple roll should be used.
In the basics of what you have written there is not much difference. But in HQ though there is not a huge list of modifiers and qualifiers that need to be added and subtracted and factored in. IMHO the elegance of HQ is the single conflict resolution system allows the players and GM's more flexibility on how to dramatically achieve their goals. You don't just have to beat the paste out of your opponent with a stick to win. You can out talk them, out run them, humiliate them all as part of the same contest. Me and my players took several sessions before we managed to get our heads around how it worked for us. Invest some time with your players and try out some situations and see how it works for you.
Run a traditional sword duel. Then a social/legal argument. Then a small battle with many participants. Then a battle against a single large opponent. Then a romance/tryst between two people. Encourage your players to challenge the situation with a different way of resolving it. My players always look at their opposition an try to find the weakest point to attack them. Legalese or Bluff or Combat or Magic or a Chase. But also remember sometimes people just want a good beatdown.