Re: HeroQuest Rune Font?

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:16:19 +0100

Sven Lugar wrote:

> While it is true that you can create 65000 characters in a Unicode font,
> many users would feel uncomfortable with it because they don't want to
> type Alt-**** all the time. Those of us who often need foreign
> characters are used to it, but I'm well aware of how clumsy others feel
> about using that. Please do not think I'm discounting your idea, because
> I would love a font where I could type straight Alpha-numeric characters
> then do an alt code to get the specific Rune I need without changing
> font, but I suspect you and I would be in the minority within all the
> users. Most users would like separate fonts. Additionally many programs
> will use these altcodes as control characters for calling up menus - for
> example when I try to type Skol properly in my letter I can't get the
> special o symbol easily because it calls up the file menu in Thunderbird
> so I usually skip it.

As another data point, I'd be quite happy with a Unicode font. For runes, I'm more likely to select them from the Character Map than type them in using keyboard keys - I can never remember which one is which, and it's not I'm usually using them to type out sentences.

Fortunately, the existence of a Unicode font wouldn't prevent people from using the older multiple fonts if they want to.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/