Re: HeroQuest Rune Font?

From: Rick <rmeints_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:38:43 -0000

Guy Hoyle <guy.hoyle_at_...> wrote:
> I agree with David's last point: also, the styles don't always match
> Better to keep them as separate fonts all on one place maybe with Noyes
> about where they were originally used.

Actually, we are beginning to look at consolidating the rune fonts into fewer fonts. Chances are we will be creating one or two OpenType fonts (Mac and PC compatible). Nothing is set in stone, but I do know this much, as the guy would did the layout for various Gloranthan products, having to dip into 3-8 fonts for a single book just to get the runes right is a major pain that I will eliminate. Most of the rune fonts we have contain fewer than 50 runes. Several fonts overlap in some cases, or contain outdated versions of a rune. I don't mind odd keystrokes since I seldom have to type in more than a few runes at a time. With so many fonts hanging around, using the wrong font or just having the rune not print is too easy to have happen. Elegantly mapping actual keyboard letters to runes sounds nifty, but it doesn't really work any more, at least not once you get beyond the core runes from RQ2 days. The idea of having to do the runes for our forthcoming Guide to Glorantha, which will span the whole world, and having to sift and sort through 20 fonts makes me shudder....