Re: Dwarfs

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 12:30:39 +1300

Richard Crawley:

>I'm about to start pregenerating some dwarf characters for my first attempt
>at running Hero Wars. Any thoughts on whether the non-Silver Caste Dwarfs
>should have any magic as such or should I just allow for a bit of magical
>enhancement when giving them general abilities?

Well, the Iron Dwarf "grimoire" in Anaxial's Record does have spells such as Chop Trees, Immovable Body, Incandescent Hammer, Shred Darkness, and Unstoppable Advance, so yes the non-Silver Castes do have magic.

IMO the dwarves do not learn magic like the humans do (ie no liturgists, wizards delving into scrolls etc). They learn their magic by going onto a Node (appropriate to their caste) and learning from the Diamondwarf there. The primal nodes are beyond most dwarves (being on the Malkioni equivalent of the Saint Plane). Instead they go to occupational nodes on the Spell Plane (such as musketer, tamestone controller, heretic deprogrammer etc).

Secondly their occupation functions as an ability and can be used to improvise other physical or mental abilities just like a human can with close combat. An example is given for a Gold Dwarf Linguist who can improvise a language that he's never heard of before using his occupational linguist ability.

--Peter Metcalfe