Re: Reputation in HERO WARS

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:35:09 -0000

Reptuation has been suggested as an optional rules set on the HW-rules list some time ago. In essence, Reputuations are earned by the hero's deeds and start as being associated with a certain group. Usually the people of your clan will all be automatically aware of your qualities -- you grew up there and they know you well. If you move to a new clan or are dealing with other clans inyour tribe, you will be judged by your reputation, possibly even recognized because of it.

Outside your tribe, it drops off according to distance/social organization. Tribe --> Confederacy --> Kingdom --> Region

A reputatation of 'Peacemaker 2w among your tribe might only be 17 among your confedarates and 12 in Sartar. Outside Sartar, no one's heard of you. (I've used a -5 'improvisation penalty' for each level of distance out from the home 'area' -- its possible to get wider ranging 'base' areas but that requires truly heroic deeds -- brokering peace between warring tribes, raising dragons or becoming a Tribal king, for example.

Remember, reputations are founded on deeds and events which are important enough to be noticed by the entire tribe. And, should you do something truly remarkable, any previous reputations (for good or ill) might be wiped out. You can really have only one repuation amongst a particular group of people

Thus, Harrek, with his 'Throbbing Engine of Destruction 10w3' reputation among the Wolf Pirates is probably used to frighten little Teshnan babies -- and that's before he arrives and becomes a local terror.

Conversely, the reputation may be with an narrower, wider spread group of people. For instance you might have a reputation "Disrespectful of Elmal 19" amongs his god-talkers (probably kingdom wide). So, in the prevoius example, you'd have a Peacemaker reputation, even with the Elmali priests but outside your tribe are going to be more concerned with your lack of respect for their god -- and will act accordingly.

> -- Heordan, renowned as a war leader, finds himself drawn into an
> argument between the ring and the carls over who should be assigned
> lead the fyrd in the coming year.
>
> -- Kelulf, renowned as a killer, finds himself questioned amid ugly
> rumors of secret murder when a weaponthane with whom he had been
seen
> arguing is found slain.
>
> -- Merlar, renowned as a freedom fighter, finds himself asked to aid
> several captured Tarsh Exiles escape from Lunar custody and smuggle
them
> safely out of Sartar.

Good examples of reputations causing problies. You forgot groupies though... =)

> Thought? Opinions?

Just some comments from things that had been posted before.

Jeff