Re: Vinga and Henna Soup

From: plarsen_at_...
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:45:03 -0600 (CST)

Andrew Barton says:

> I heard a song at the recent filk con where the mothers of dryads were
> telling their daughters to drink up their henna soup, which would put
> that
> attractive red glint into their green hair.
>
> Apparently (a) this works (b) the soup tastes disgusting. IMG there is
> now
> at least one clan that uses the stuff in its initiation rites for Vinga.

OK, this is probably off-topic, and I can't speak for dryads, but I have my doubts about this. Henna is a dye. While it seems to have been used as a medicine in the past, I'm not sure what taking it internally would do. The normal application is to make a gloppy mud pack, smear it on your hair (or skin) and keep it as warm as possible.

Now, there's nothing to say the the henna-analog for Glorantha can't be drunk in a ceremony know to the Vingans and not only dye their hair permanently red but maybe provides that contraceptive effect. That makes it magic and convenient but robs Narrators of the fun of a frantic Vingan henna-hunt a few days before a major ceremony....

Peter Larsen