Re: Henna soup

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:47:31 -0000

> Andrew Barton says:
>
> > I heard a song at the recent filk con where the mothers of dryads were
> > telling their daughters to drink up their henna soup, which would put
> > that attractive red glint into their green hair.
> >
> > Apparently (a) this works (b) the soup tastes disgusting. IMG there is
> > now at least one clan that uses the stuff in its initiation rites for
> > Vinga.
>
> Peter Larsen:
> ... but I have
> my doubts about this. Henna is a dye. While it seems to have been used as
> a medicine in the past, I'm not sure what taking it internally would do.

According to my Big Book of Herbs, it would cure amoebic dysentery. Also used externally for skin diseases, wounds, ulcers, and herpes. "An astringent herb with a tea-like aroma", apparently.

Now, if this is all Talis's fault.... Andrew, is Kate going to be at any of the coming Far Isles events? May Revel, on the 5th, in particular? I'm running that, so for a select bunch of people, I could try this one out. Talis should be there, anyway. I just need to check I won't actually be poisoning anyone before I give all three of us red hair. (Not that it'll show on Talis)

(Hang on: *that* filk con? It wasn't served there, was it? Only everyone I know who went is now ill!)