Re: Favoured Champion Cult

From: bruce_at_...
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:11:57 -0000

Of course, if what the Chief wants is lacking in honour, Jonrik can always do what Humakt did when confronted by Orlanth's similar lack of honour - kin-sever himself and maybe even kill the chief. Humakt's sword of honour and lack of political ties cut both ways. And Jonrik might be quite satisfied if he dies in the name of his honour...

On a related note, I suspect that warband leaders might prefer not to send Humakti on cattle raids. Sending the folks who wield Death represents a certain escalation in the level of implied threat.

> Although hopefully Chief Harstal has his eye on Harmast Ortossison
> for warband leader, the warband would surely prefer to follow that
> witty leader of men, and Orlanth Adventuruos devotee than that
> somewhat scary foriegner. And choosing someone from within the clan
> to lead the warband would help win them over to his side...
>
> Harmast Ortossison

Having been adopted as kin in the Sacred Time ceremonies, Jonrik is part of the clan. Of course, I think he is still seen as a scary Humakti and "not really one of us" as far as a lot of clansfolk are concerned. They'd be much happier to have someone they grew up with lead them.

I suspect the fyrd might not be too happy to be under the command of a Death worshipping bloke, either: "He doesn't care if he lives or dies, and he'll get all of us killed along with him!"

Regards,

Bruce