Re: Re: Favoured Champion Cult

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:15:36 -0500

bruce_at_... wrote:

> > Benedict Adamson wrote:

> On a related note, I suspect that warband leaders might prefer not to
> send Humakti on cattle raids. Sending the folks who wield Death
> represents a certain escalation in the level of implied threat.

And, looking at the Finovan subcult, Orlanthi are just so much BETTER at cattle-raiding. But I suppose a particularly stick-in-the-mud Humakti would object to going along. Its hardly in his job description. Cattle raiding is a job for the young men who want to earn a name for themselves, especially with an eye to marriage...

> Having been adopted as kin in the Sacred Time ceremonies, Jonrik is
> part of the clan. Of course, I think he is still seen as a scary
> Humakti and "not really one of us" as far as a lot of clansfolk are
> concerned. They'd be much happier to have someone they grew up with
> lead them.

That's how most Humakti are seen -- Death is about them like a fine stench. =) But soem of them can be _very_ inspiring leaders. I just think that there are better options for leading a fyrd or raiding band.

> I suspect the fyrd might not be too happy to be under the command of
> a Death worshipping bloke, either: "He doesn't care if he lives or
> dies, and he'll get all of us killed along with him!"
>
> Regards,
>
> Bruce

I'd tend to agree. But sometimes, that's the sort of attitude one needs in battle -- but I'd rather have someone there who's more interested in suriviving long enough to boast of our victory. Our clan's humakti tend to fight as a part of the shield wall or as a separate group ("Speed Bump Steading" is right in the line of attack from our old friends the Black Oaks...)

Jeff