Re: Humakti and Cattle Raids

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:43:32 -0500

bruce_at_... wrote:

> > And, looking at the Finovan subcult, Orlanthi are just so much
> BETTER at
> > cattle-raiding.
>
> Typical Orlanthi - boast, boast, boast... :)

But of course! What's the point of raiding if you can't boast about it? Or get drunk, hear the praise of your chief and eventually crawl home?

> Agreed. When it's a real do or die situation, the Humakti are
> perfect. And I think you'd love to have them fighting alongside you
> in a pitched battle. In a "friendly" cattle raid or skirmish, though,
> they might just get, um, over enthusiastic.

And some of them might regard the 'sneaking into a tula' as somewhat dodgy. Particularly when they get to the part of getting rid of the guards -- which has to be done quick and fast when you're raiding close to a large stead lest the inhabitants boil out like wasps from a drop-kicked nest (which is a REALLY dumb thing to do, I assure you!)

> > Our clan's humakti tend
> > to fight as a part of the shield wall or as a separate group ("Speed
> > Bump Steading" is right in the line of attack from our old friends
> the
> > Black Oaks...)
>
> And I'll bet the only welcome they have for them is several feet of
> bronze and a warrior's death. :)

That and the cabbages they have planted around it (which I still don't understand but I'm told are very, very important to the Humakti there). I try not to ask them too many questions. As long as they do their job, I don't really care WHAT they do.

But yes, Humaktsstead is called 'the speed bump' for good reason. =) I really should write up the Cyrling Clan and post it someplace, not that they are exactly typical -- no clan is typical, I think.

Jeff