Re: Orlanth minimaxing

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:45:22 -0800

> One of the reasons I don't really like much Orlanth-based adventuring, is
that I consider Orlanth too much a Jack-of-all-trades: as Roderick pointed, he is mithically (sp?) anything. I sensed it as a RPG construct (everybody wants to play an Orlanthi, but wants to play him/her the way they like him), so I avoided it. I also thought him to be lacking of a distinct personality, as a god, and so good for all or nothing.

There are Real-world muythic precedence for such a being - the first one that comes top mind is in the Irish myths: Lugh is a "god" (let's leave off the debates about whether the Tuatha are gods or something else...) who can do anything. he's not quite as good as the "primary" god of the action, but the second-best at everything.

> Now I am changing my mind: I have ordered the TR supplement because I
think that NOW we have a consistent answer to the strenghts and weaknesses of Orlanthi culture and religion (from the comments I read on this list).

> So, in the end, I think that this one is not a crytic at all. Take it as a
praise, Issaries!

Thanks.

RR