RE: Children's magic

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:11:05 -0000

> Does that stop them? Even in our world, childhood is full of little
> rituals (like Tom Sawyer looking for a lost marble by sending
> another after
> it and saying 'Brother, go find your brother'). In Glorantha
> some of these
> should work.

I kinda agree. I find childrens fairy tales are often more disturbing than we expect, and its an idea that has been well used (such as "The Childrens Crusade" by Gaiman). One theme that might be exploited is that children have a kind of "underground" magic... perhaps kids risk contact with the propitated gods like Malia. It's also possible that the initiation and induction to the adult cults may "erase" or "cleanse" any potential childhood magical knowledge or contamination. It's a good theme, I think.