Re: NomadBattle

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:36:42 -0000

> Skirmishers have trouble defending anything except with a
very "forward"
> strategy - they need to attack/harass the Moros and Zebras as far
away from
> the Knob as possible. If the moros get withing striking range of
the knob,
> the impalas will pretty much have to give it up - mounted troops are
> notoriuosly bad at holding ground, and the impalas ca *not* get
into hand to
> hand with the moros.

<snip excellent description of tactics>

If you are looking for a reference to steal some extra bits from, this situation reminds me quite a bit of the last march of the crusader kingdom of Jeuraselem, before the army was slaughtered by saladin. (sure, the crusaders were largely heavy cavalry, but as far as their ability to hit back at the arab mounted bowman goes it doesn't matter, and their support was light infantry, but it was also outclassed and eventually wiped out, and the terrain is certainly about right....).

The march and final battle is described in any number of history books, and dramatized in even more historical novels. The parrellels aren't exact, but it might give you some more ideas on how such an event might run (although hopefully your players will manage a different ending!).

--Bryan