Re: Re: Clan description

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:44:19 -0500

wulfc_at_... wrote:

> We're currently working in some unspecified pre-invasion time, with
> Lunars a present threat, but no open warfare, and they're not in
> charge yet. We can therefore put SR to use when it appears without
> needing to change dates. We're an offshoot (that is, a bunch of
> splitters) from a bigger clan, so very small at present.

There's a sort of minimal survival level for a clan -- you need enough of the Four Providers to support the logistics of a clan. 200 adults is getting pretty low? But the danger should make up for it!

> We're up near the Bush Range, and we're quite well known for our
> violence :)

Large Steads. Possibly close together but the pasturage and soil may prevent that -- let alone the fact that 'we have not explored our tula. surely there are treasures remaining to be found'

> Yes, I think my mental imagery is too firmly based on Viking & Dark
> Age Britain, a bit small for HW. The TV archaology program 'Time
> Team' has been essential reference material lately...

The viking era is based more on family and bloodline rather than clan. Farming and social stability had advanced to the point where these smaller groups were viable. And, the land in that area is not precisely arable...

> > Either, I would have thought - think about Jeff's Speed Bump Stead
> > posts.
>
> That was the inspiration for this question. Humakti are almost
> certainly thanes, certainly warriors. Full-time Warriors are
> supported by the clan, they shouldn't BE farming or maintaining a
> stead, they should be practicing, training, patrolling, etc. Cabbages
> as a hobby, yes, as an active part of the farming community, no.
>
> Wulf

Oh dear. "Speed Bump Stead" as its known, is also one of the few sources of humor in my game. I should probably mention a bit about it: Its a rather durable collection of outbuildings and one LARGE longhouse, joined together by a stout fence. In 1621, the Lunars have frowned on fortification of steads and the previous palisade was demolished after Starbrow's Rebellion. Humaktstead, as it is more properly known, is on the main approach to our ancient foes -- the Black Oaks. A clan raid cannot help btu go past it, though a cattle raid can easily bypass it. The humakti living there are mostly warriors or retired/invalided warriors and their families -- those who have them. One of them is a weaponthane, with the other two being at the Clan-chief's side (many of our weaponthanes are Starkval with most of the non-Humakti warriors being Hedkoranthi). There's about a 6-10 other warriors there, I believe but some are invalided or old. The Clan Champion WAS a Humakti until "Uncle Kalgar" came down with a sudden case of losing a duel.

As Wulf mentions, most of their time is spent on patrol or training, etc. The cabbages and root vegtables are there because... it just happened. Its very strange when you find that there are parts of your clan that you just don't know why they do that. But the wives and husbands of the various warriors (if they are not warriors themselves) do tend to the gardens or perform the sort of work they did before moving to the stead. But the saurkraut and beet-soup are often used as winter supplies throughout the clan, though few really like to _eat_ the stuff. And, of course, they do haul barrels of the stuff off to the Ducks for some reason... There Are Some Things You Just Don't Ask A Humakti. That's one of them.

Children born in Humaktstead tend to be fostered out to other steads.

Jeff