"First Alynx" and other TR questions.

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:00:00 -0000

I am nowhere close to be finished reading Thunder Rebels in detail yet, but already I've hit a few details that have piqued my curiousity. A glance in the index suggests that these aren't covered in more detail later in the book, so I'll throw my queries onto the list and see if anyone else knows more, or can at least speculate in an elightened fashion.
  1. I've seen a couple of references to a hearth's "First Alynx," and it is noted that this critter is the only one to challenge the hearth mistress's authority. Having been partially raised by a tabby cat I can understand how this relationship goes. My question is more one of Alynx organization. Is the first Alynx male or female, or either? Do Alynx really respect such an individual, or is this just the one that gets to sleep closest to the fire most nights? Do the other alynx come into the hall much, or mostly hang out in the barns and around the store houses?
  2. "Alynx queens" are also mentioned. Is that a term for any female alynx of kitten bearing age, or is this again a term for alynx of some rank within the feline world?
  3. Not related to TR, but now that I'm thinking about it, do alynx go into "heat" the way that terrestrial domestic cats do? And how long do they go between litters? (I'd think they'd have litters less often than domestic cats, being somewhat larger hence needing more territory to support themselves). 4)One of the section heading bits of colour text was an admonishment to a young boy to "stop harshaxing your brother." I'm sure every other King of Sartar reader's attention was grabbed by that line too. I was unaware that the term had currency as far back as the hero wars, rather than being a new title coined hundreds of years later. I presume it is used to mean something like "tyranize." Does anyone know more about the word and where it comes from? It doesn't sound like a native heortling word to my ear.
  4. The long-house is described in a fair degree of detail, except for one thing: doors. How many and where? i.e. "One door in the middle of each of the short ends." "A number, scattered fairly randomly." "Three along the east wall (one in the middle and one at each end)." Normally I wouls assume on the short walls, but with shrines at each end I'm thinking maybe that isn't the case (besides the simple layout issues, do you want your shrine right next to a door where thieves or raiders can most easily get at it?
  5. I loved the bit about minor air daimones playing with the smoke, and eventually making small balls out of the ash. But what do they do with those balls? Drop them on peoples heads? Let them settle slowly to the ground? Blow them out the smokehole? Herd them all into one bucket?

Well, I think that is enough for today. No doubt more reading will lead to more questions :)

--Bryan