Re: "First Alynx" and other TR questions.

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:12:24 +0000

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:00:00 -0000, bethexton_at_... wrote:

>6) I loved the bit about minor air daimones playing with the smoke,
>and eventually making small balls out of the ash. But what do they
>do with those balls? Drop them on peoples heads? Let them settle
>slowly to the ground? Blow them out the smokehole? Herd them all
>into one bucket?

Only applicable to thatched buildings, but in that case you may not HAVE a smokehole. As detailed on the Time Team TV archaeology program recently, the draft through doors (and windows, if you have them) up a smokehole draws the smoke, flames & sparks up, and will inevitably set the thatch alight. So in thatched longhouses (RW), the smoke just accumulates & coats the thatch (handily drying it in the process). In HW the daimones probably pack the smoke balls into the thatch for extra insulation. If you want the smoke to escape, best build a chimney.

Wulf