Re: First Alynx

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:57:09 EST

Bryan Thexton:

<< 3) Not related to TR, but now that I'm thinking about it, do alynx go into
"heat" the way that terrestrial domestic cats do? >>

      Yes.

<< And how long do they go between litters? (I'd think they'd have litters
less often than domestic cats, being somewhat larger hence needing more territory to support themselves). >>

      Well, a wild alynx needs something like 10-20 square miles to support itself*. Litters of 1 to 4 kittens are born after a gestation period of 58-62 days. In practice, that seems to me to be one litter a year, since they obviously need time to wean the first batch of kittens, and the breeding season isn't likely to be all that long. Murni are likely an exception, being more like domestic cats in breeding habits.

Trotsky