Re: Long houses

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:55:31 -0000

Best pictures I can find so far on the web.

http://myrkur.tripod.com/longhouses.htm
(you too can build you orn longhouse)

http://www.bownet.org/cyberbus/Vikings/viking.htm
(I think this one may be ripped off from a children's educational
book).

These show doors both in the short and long axes. I suspect that the placement varied, with the long axis placement being more common when the byre was not a seperate building.

I always recommend:

How Would You Survive as a Viking?
by Jacqueline Morley 0531153029 becuase it ahs great cutaway pics of Viking life. Children's books are always great for visual resources, and end to concentrate on life as a member of the culture would have seen it (daily life, the farming calendar) and not scholarly arguments.

Ian