Re: Re: Long houses

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:43:26 +0000

bethexton_at_... wrote:
> The first [problem with thatch] is when there
> simply isn't thatch available, like on the prairies. Somehow I don't
> think that would be a problem in Sartar.

Good thatch is made from reeds, not straw as commonly thought. Good thatch might be hard to find in the upland steads. This is the case in my campaign.

> If the snows are really heavy, then
> those roofs will probably have to have a fairly steep slope to shed
> some of the load (especially with a 20 foot span from centre beam to
> walls). I'm not too sure how well sod works with a steep pitch?

The advice I've seen is for turf roofs to have a shallow pitch, no more than 30 degrees.
http://www.cat.org.uk/catpubs/tipsheet.tmpl?sku=17

Turf roofs were the norm in Viking Iceland, so evidently supporting snow is not impossible. I guess the turf would weigh more than the snow.

For some more ideas about house construction, see:

http://www.regia.org/houses.htm
http://www.sazp.sk/parabow/contacts/ribembuil.jpg
http://viking.hgo.se/Files/VikHeri/Viking_Age/house.html
http://www.wordplay.com/tourism/viking.html