Cannibalism (yum yum)

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:17:36 +0000

Last night, the final (I think) of a TV series on cannibalism was shown in the UK, showing how cannibalism was considered perfectly acceptable until relatively recently in some cultures (only 130 years ago in Fiji). One theory given was that cannibalism as a way of ritually destroying and literally consuming your enemies was only made abhorrent by Christianity (which declared only the body and blood of Christ to be - ritually - acceptable for consumption).

Without entering any RW debates on the subject, I rather like the idea, it makes life more diverse, and have been wondering where, in Glorantha, cannibalism might be practised. Not the real nasty sort of people, like the Cannibal Cult, but more ritual forms of the practice, among more 'likeable' people. I can, for example, see Hsunchen accepting it. Uz certainly do. I can't see it happening within Grazer society, so it's not just an Animist thing, but I see most Theistic societies (certainly Orlanthi and Lunar/Solar) as being too 'modern' (similar to RW Christianity). I can't remember the latest word on the Holy Country, whether it's Aztec-influenced or not, but there were some central American peoples (pre-Aztec I think) who practised cannibalism.

Anyone else thought about this, or know of more examples from Glorantha?

Wulf