Re: Eat your enemies in secret

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:44:55 +0000

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:29:01 EST, kmnellist_at_... wrote:

><< Not the real nasty sort of
> people, like the Cannibal Cult, but more ritual forms of the practice,
> among more 'likeable' people. >>
>
>If you do not consider cannibalism nasty then the cannibal cult no longer
>becomes nasty. They are appeasing those hungry ghosts after all, and they
>only eat their enemies.

True enough, but the Cannibal Cult prey on humans for the purpose of eating them (as do ogres, etc). I was more considering those who might ritually prepare and chow down on especially significant individuals, but don't do so as an everyday event. The CC are nasty not for what they do, but how, and how often, they do it. I believe the only cult writeup I've seen said they got Waha's orders wrong, and thought that each species could only eat others of the same species, which is a strange sort of reasoning.

Herd Men are not considered human by anyone who regularly eats them - maybe an outsider might. But if they DO, and are still prepared to eat, that might prove the low significance cannibalism has as a 'sin' in the eyes of said outsider!

The Aldryami example is fair, but I was considering it from a human standpoint - I severely doubt that elves eat elves, although they do eat other parts of Aldrya (which I have always taken to mean berries, seeds, nuts, leaves, etc, not sentient bits), so would humans (barring Lhankor Mhy and God-Learners) really consider Aldryami cannibals?

Wulf