Re: Waiting and hoping

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:15:31 -0500

Graham Robinson wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Michael Beggs wrote:
>
> > I can't help wondering how many new players have been put off HW by
> this
> > lack of playable material. Can someone shed some light on whether
> there are
> > going to be any stand alone scenarios published before September,
> when the
> > Lunar book appears? I honestly can't think off the top of my head of
> any
> > other RPG which hasn't had scenario support one year after its
> appearance.
> >

> Well, there's the scenarios in the Narrator's book, on the website and
> various fan publications. Sartar rising is slated for May - certainly
> likely to appear before the Lunar Handbook. Not too dreadful over all,
> though perhaps not that apparent to the uninitiated. Perhaps the
> website
> needs to be pushed harder in future releases - especially the Heroes
> book.

Sartar Rising, yeah. That's the book next out after Storm Tribe. From what I've seen its the first scenario book. I suspect there should be more out after that for the Sartar Rebellion story arc.

I'm not sure how much of the Lunar book is scenarios, however?

> Most support for, eg, world of darkness has been in the form of source
> books rather than scenarios. Certainly sales and interest appear to
> have

Its been pretty well demonstrated that scenario books don't sell nearly as well as source or background books (its a 'narrator only' sort of thing) but on the other hand, without scenario books, its hard to move a game line without them. Its a catch-22 situation.

> been far higher round here for non-scenario stuff for that system, so
> I'm
> not convinced that Issaries strategy is wrong. I certainly wouldn't be
> recommending all my players to go buy a scenario pack, while I have
> pushed
> them to get Thunder Rebels. There are also very, very few rpgs that
> have
> ever had supplements of the standard of Thunder Rebels...

I must agree with this! But the problem is 'what would you have first?' When this question was asked of folks back in April, it was 'we want cultural stuff out first' before scenarios....

> I seem to recall that Pendragon went for some time with no scenarios -
> may
> be some connection?

Could be. =) But Pendragon sort of combined regional books with scenarios in a rather nice fashion, though I admit I found atlas-style of these scenarios a little daunting at times.

Jeff