Re: Godking subcult

From: rmv1_at_...
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 14:08:04 -0000

[Posted this to the hw-rules list and figured I would cross-post; many apologies to those who receive this twice.]

<delurk>
This is such a great fascinating thread, I have felt the need to delurk. My shy Chalana part curses the geniuses on this list! ;)

The idea here for the Pharaoh subcult is great. I would see a parallel with the Vingkot subcults in TR; like Vingkot, the Pharaoh is important enough and powerful enough to have several facets. The difference here is that the subcults are available to people from completely different culture deities. You might have (for instance) the Pharaoh the Godking subcult (which emphasizes the conquering aspect of the Pharaoh), the Pharaoh the Master of Luck and Death subcult (which is for those who are preparing themselves for the Tournament) and the Pharaoh the Unifier subcult (which emphasizes the peace-forcing aspect). [Don't know why I have three here; any ideas on any others?]

The Godking subcult would be a subcult of Orlanth Allfather in Heortland, a husband-protector in Esrolia, etc. As such, he would have his own affinity (Perhaps one that would make him attractive as an alternate to the other chief/king subcults? Not sure if this is intended by Greg.) and his own secret (Bridge to the City of Wonders?).

The Master of Luck and Death subcult would support the development of the heroes who compete in the Tournament. It always struck me that, far from being a free-for-all, there had to be deep theological underpinnings to this event, such that the contestants would need to have some level of knowledge (Holy Country Otherworld Geography?) to navigate the 'magical version' of the Holy Country and successfully make the connections they need to make in order to reincarnate him. Perhaps they have the affinity of Master of Luck and Death (with some significant combat feats and/or Otherworld navigational ones, kind of like a palatable version of the Arkati). His secret would be Incarnate Pharaoh, which would make this subcult extremely limited in scope (so this should have decently-difficult-but-not-impossible entrance requirements and a stipulation as to how the Secret is achieved).

The Unifier subcult would have powers relevant to the 'ambassadors' who ease the conflicts that are bound to arise in combining the disparate Sixths. An affinity with Harmony or Communication feats might be the most appropriate (where possible, the Pharaoh did make peace). The secret here might be one which allows the worshipper to succeed in a peace-forcing Final Action in any contest where he has used his Communication affinity.

For those who are interested, I will try to post a 'Belintar' rune I came up with a while ago. Seems more useful now, with Hero Wars, where everyone has some specialized rune to call their own.

Thanks for the mental kick-start, by the way...

Roland