Praise and a few questions

From: rmv1_at_...
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 16:56:55 -0000

I just joined the list and have been reading the archives -- great stuff everybody! Really impressive and imaginative; glad I don't have to do any work, myself... ;)

As a GM who formerly ran a long-running RQIII campaign, and one who is considering starting up a Hero Wars campaign for some of the same people, let me say that there is much material to boggle the mind on this list:

[RE: Orlanth on the Lightbringers' Quest...]
>Orlanth, the poor sap saddled with the
>Active role, has to perform a thousand antics to prove himself.

Orlanth as a "poor sap" would have set some of my old players to frothing at the mouth! And of course, would have brought an evil chuckle to myself in the process.

A couple of questions, while I'm posting:

  1. In the old supplements and (IIRC) KoS, when the Lunars make Orlanth-worship illegal, the Sartarites take to the worship of Barntar as a thinly-disguised version of Orlanth. With the HW rules in hand, it seems that people are called to the gods, not vice-versa. Will that mean that the old Barntar-worship will be/is gregged? Or is this merely a sop to the Lunars performed by the god-talkers of Sartar en masse? ("No, we're no longer making sacrifices to Orlanthcarl the Farmer! That would be illegal! We're with Barntar now! If you're looking for scoundrels who would so *contemptuously* violate Lunar law, may I direct your attention to the Roast Turkey clan, there? Just between you and me, I think their chieftain has a stash of gold buried under his house that he managed to hide from the tax collectors! Why, yes, we have been feuding with them, now you mention it...")
  2. When a hsunchen uses his Shapechange talent, does he/she actually change form completely to the animal in question? The example in that section with the Telmori implies that this is not necessarily the case; I don't have my book handy right now, but I believe it says something like, "If the candidate is found worthy, Telmor will imbue him with the spirit of a wolf, or, since the character comes from Dragon Pass, a werewolf." Can the hsunchen use the Shapechange talent then to only change part of his/her shape, as with the integrated spirits, but with the benefit of being able to do it in new ways?
  3. Is it possible for someone to sacrificially worship, say, Kolat, yet be an initiate to Orlanth? How about temporary ecstatic worship of a local Great Spirit (the Deer Spring Woman, or Deskartha's Year- while maintaining theistic worship of a deity? [Even if this is possible, I imagine it is the exception instead of the rule.]
  4. How do the husband-protectors of Ernalda fit into the Heortling Ernalda cult, say, in Esrolia? I recall that Esrolia is supposed to be kind of a Heortling-like culture where the gender roles have been reversed at the leader and ruler level. I would suppose that her cult would be approximately similar, but am confused as to how to fit the husband-protectors into it.
  5. What happened to associate gods? No more lending powers to the other gods in your pantheon, I see. Or is this still practiced somehow, and I've overlooked it? This would drastically affect the powers of some of the old RQIII gods and the shape of their cults, since some of them depended heavily on other gods to beef up otherwise small selections of powers, i.e. Pavis, with his elemental affiliations. Or is this being changed to a new understanding, where these connections and stolen powers are being made more integrally a part of the cult?

Sorry for the wordy post.

Roland