Re: Praise and a few questions

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 18:52:55 +0000

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001 16:56:55 -0000, rmv1_at_... wrote:

>1. In the old supplements and (IIRC) KoS, when the Lunars make
>Orlanth-worship illegal, the Sartarites take to the worship of
>Barntar as a thinly-disguised version of Orlanth. With the HW rules
>in hand, it seems that people are called to the gods, not vice-versa.

Even while worshipping Barntar, you are still worshipping Orlanth's pantheon, so he still gets some benefit. And would the average Lunar actually know the difference in the ceremonies? Meanwhile, up in the hills, you can dance round the standing stones while the Lunars search for temples in the towns...

>2. When a hsunchen uses his Shapechange talent, does he/she actually
>change form completely to the animal in question?

Once a Hsunchen has learned the Secret of his Tradition, he (or she) can change completely. Up until then, he can change the bits affected by his spirit fetishes or talents.

>3. Is it possible for someone to sacrificially worship, say, Kolat,
>yet be an initiate to Orlanth? How about temporary ecstatic worship
>of a local Great Spirit (the Deer Spring Woman, or Deskartha's Year-
>Stag) while maintaining theistic worship of a deity? [Even if this is
>possible, I imagine it is the exception instead of the rule.]

Certainly the exception, probably frowned upon, maybe even worthy of a Agent of Reprisal or two (if worshipping Malia or the like), but still more common than full-time Animism amongst Heortlings. After all, if you're not a Spirit talker, you get nothing out of Animism personally, only what the Spirit Talker gives you, unless the Spirit itself takes notice of you (unlikely for Great Spirits). So likely any ecstatic worship is done on an as-needed basis, either to persuade a Spirit talker to hand over a useful fetish, or in the hope of getting some local Spirit's attention (unlikely if you don't know it's tradition). There seem to be some new Animism rules available to the GTA members, hopefully some of these will clear things up in ST (and get my Serdrodosan into a usable state...).

>5. What happened to associate gods?

Gone. You can use the Pantheon Worship rules, TR p.65-66, but it's not the same...

Wulf