Re: Praise and a few questions

From: rmv1_at_...
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 21:20:12 -0000

Wulf Corbett, Ian Hammond and Jeff Kyer supply timely answers to my niggling questions. Thanks guys!

[Snipped Wulf saying Kolat worship by Orlanth initiates would be
possible but exceptional, Jeff Kyer saying it would be misapplied worship, if at all possible.]

My thinking went along these lines: the Lunars are busy destroying "temples" to Orlanth wherever they can be found. They make an example of the Orlanth Thunderous chief priest of the Banana Republic tribe, just before the Storm Season High Holy Day worship ceremonies (can't recall what they're called in TR). Normally, there would be someone else to take care of this, but for one reason or another (sickness? killed in a devastating raid? taken as thralls by Grazers?) there's no one to perform the ceremonies (being that 85% of my guys belong to Durev the Householder, they haven't got the spiritual hormones to do the job; or do they? Am I misinterpreting subcult and aspect specialization of function?) This is disastrous, since now noone knows when the Heler rains will fall, and the omens are not good for the crop for the coming year. Can the clan go to One-  Hurbi, the Kolating, in his shack in the woods and ask oneof Kolat's children to come at the right time? Numerous possibilities exist, but this is what I'm curious about; I don't care about fetishes and whatnot, that stuff's for traders and bean-counters. I want the rains! And I want them at the right time! Would I go to Orlanth's kinsman and ask for them? Or would I do it through Divine Aid from the Storm Tribe?

Another example might be the spirits of the wild and their relationship with the Hunter Gods of my clan. Would I find collateral worship of local spirits by people who are primarily followers of the Hunting Gods? I could see this as propitiary worship ("Oh, Year-Stag, take not your kin from our larders!"), but I'm curious if they would practice collateral worship as well.

[Snipped Ian Hammond and Jeff Kyer's responses to my Esrolian
question regarding the husband-protectors.] So the husband-protectors are now more minor deities of the Earth Tribe? If this is a local phenomenon, how did it get as far as Garhound in Sun County (or has this been Gregged?) This makes the Ernalda pantheon fairly unwieldy, since it has a plethora of gods who fulfill primarily the same role. Seems to me that the Husband-  should be a kind of gestalt magic, kind of like the Seven Mothers' Collective, but with the inclusion of an Ernaldan woman who fors the most important link in the chain. Otherwise, the menfolk have about six or seven culture-defining deities, all of whom wield no actual cultural power.

This almost makes me think that Esrolian Orlanth worshippers must worship him as Orlanth Thunderous, "since that's who dad followed." Otherwise, a call to come to the worship of the "true men's god" would be difficult to interpret correctly...

Roland