Re: Mixed and Misapplied

From: wulfc_at_...
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:00:05 -0000

Hey, it worked:) Little subtlety I know, but I got a new answer ...

> >This brings me back to an old problem of mine, just how does
> >Misapplied Worship actually BEGIN?
> Because there is some magical thing or presence over there, nearby,
and it
> requires some attention. The godi has a prayer to do that, and he
goes and
> offers it a cow or so.

Yup, that's fine, I was meaning more the next bit.

> >Can an individual just decide to
> >start theistically worshipping some powerful... thingy... in the
hope
> >it grants some assistance,
> In the hopes?
> Either you do know what you are worshipping for (help me in war,
feed my
> children), or you do not. (Oh you "strange power here," accept this
cow and
> leave me alone., or "give me the magic you promised.")

Yup, that's what I meant, you pray very loudly and hope you get an answer.

> One day that thing over there talks to the godi and they strike up
a deal.

So, basically, a theist can, possibly, get a successful reply from a spirit just from theistic, sacrificial worship, without a known form of worship (for that spirit). You just have to wait until the spirit notices someone knocking on it's Otherworld 'back door'

> >and when it miraculously WORKS you have the
> >start of a Misapplied Worship?
> We have a deal, and that is that.
> Misapplied? Hey, that rock an I have a deal, I have this feat now,
and that
> is that. Orlanth didn't care.

Agreed, game term, but it makes sure we're all talking the same rules mechanic.

> Misapplied? Game term. Mixed, game term.
> Is this helpful or just confusing?

More or less what was said before. I'd say within the game it would be up to the Narrator if any spirit noticed a theist's sacrifices, and again up to the Narrator if it bothered to do anything for him. But at least he can TRY even without an organized mixed/misapplied cult.

Wulf