Re: Clan-preferred subcults

From: rmv1_at_...
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 20:15:00 -0000

[jeff Kyer responds to my post about substituting subcults in clans/tribes with local heroes.]

> Yes! This can and does happen. Apparently (according to KoS) the
> Colymar at Clearwine have a special "Orlanth" subcult called Regal
> Varnol which has replaced some of the worship of other subcults.
> (This is Varnol, bravest of my warriors)
I'll have to get KoS back from the guy I lent it to and look up some local heroes/regional demigods to get some flavor. I figure, my players will eventually get Thunder Rebels; I should do some homework and keep them on their toes.

> > A better example might have been if Orlev the Sly, might have a
> > subcult, only worshipped in his clan, which displaces Dar the
> > Leader (but not Dar the King).
> This might be a hero-cult which is clan/tribe specific. Might give
> some stand alone feats, might give an affinity (and might not).
I see these heroes/demigods giving one affinity, and maybe some additional feats in their god's other affinities. Few mortals would rise to the point where they would give multiple affinities, IMHO. Not enough Time has passed yet.

> There's a healing goddess nicknamed "Throat Slitter" because she
> doesn't heal folke outside her tribe (whatever that tribe is)

> Variation can be pretty extreme. But there's always a certain
> amount of baseline -- if they aren't recognizably Heortling, they
> probably won't get into/stay in a tribe. And without a tribe,
> you're going to die.

Agreed. But I was looking at "Dragons Past 1" on the Issaries website (which I have made into a Word document to get rid of some annoying formatting difficulties), and I noted Aggar and Ditali are primarily Orlanthi, but quite likely have different subcults.

Roland