Re: Raining on Parade

From: Jeffrey Zahari <jeff_zahari_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 21:55:03 +1100

(Nick Brooke wrote)
>I write Gloranthan songs that people can (and will) SING!
>
>What kind of Gloranthan songs do you write?

I don't write Gloranthan songs, as I don't think they're appropriate (for my campaign). This follows logically from my views as published in my original post.

Look, guys, I think I should say this: anything and everything I write in this forum is my opinion. Nobody is obliged to agree. In the words of the great Loskalmi philosopher Eriatlov, "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

However, I also assert my democratic right to dissent, and to outline my own analysis. I do not claim to have a monopoly on the truth. In a fictional world, all truth is Absolutely Subjective. Even the Prime Mover has grown and changed along with the universe He created. We move ever closer to the Absolute Idea, but we will never reach it.

The truth of your ideas lies in practice, ie do people enjoy your game? If they do, you have proved the power of your thinking. We are not talking of a zero-sum game here. It is not a matter of I win/you lose.

Then twelve brave Heortlings, born of warriors Rode round the barrow, sorrowing.
They mourned their queen, Kallyr:
Sang her praises, spoke of her deeds.
It is fitting for a fighter
When her chief must leave this life,
To mouth words in her praise
And cherish her memory.
Thus the Kheldon, her kith and kin
Grieved for their mighty queen.
They said that of all the queens that breathed She was the kindest, the most gentle
The most just to her people,
The most eager for fame.