Re: Praise and a few questions

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:33:15 -0000

Sure, lots of them probably know that Orlanthi get together on hill tops and worship, but come on, how serious a threat can a bunch of ragged cow herders standing out in the rain be? Heck, they don't even have a proper priest, we got rid of most of them too. No doubt it will take a generation or two to convert them all to more civilized gods, but in the meantime if they want to go stand out in a cow pasture and dance and chant at least they aren't gathered inside and plotting any real trouble.....

(Just my take on a common lunar attitude. As they say, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!)

--Bryan

> Incidenatlly, does anyone feel that there are any analogies (dodgy
theough
> they always are) between the Lunars and the sperad of Islam?

Are there any analogies? Sure. Are they especially strong? I wouldn't say so. Islam seemed to catch fire in newly converted regions, spreading much like a wildfire with each new region providing the fuel to power the flame to spread further. Lunar religion doesn't seem to generally be accepted as easily, and seems more driven from the top. I'd actually say that it is closer to how christianity spread after the conversion of constantine (not that that is very close either).

Mind you, there may be useful parrelels between how Islam became established in parts of the Indian subcontinent and what is happening in the head waters of the Janube river with the few independant lunar cities there. I don't know the details of what is happening there, but you have the same sort of situation with a dynamic new religion trying to spread in an area with a number of long established and strong religions of its own.

As usual, all just IMO.

--Bryan