Re: Lunar tax policies

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 17:36:29 -0000

Henrix wrote:

> Do you imply that convertites to the Lunar religions pay less tax
> than others?

Greg Stafford gave a talk at RQ-Con 2 in which he suggested that Lunar tax-breaks were used to make converts (and penalise the recalcitrant). Years ago, though -- his thinking may have changed. I'll try to dig out the reference tonight.

> That was always, in the long run, one of the best ways Islam was
> spread. First conquer (or convert so many you are in majority),
> then introduce differentiated taxes.

Of course, it's also what shafted the Umayyad Caliphate. Too much success in making converts => vital poll tax revenues plummet => new dynasty takes over and makes different tax rules. Yes, it helped the spread of Islam. No, it wasn't very good for the Islamic state :-)

Cheers, Nick