Re: Why are Orlanth and Urox prohibited?

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:13:45 -0500

Christoph Kohring wrote:

> > Message: 22

> More seriously, I've always had trouble understanding why the Lunar
> Empire
> would prohibit any storm cult (ie Orlanth and Urox). I know that
> Orlanth is
> the Ultimate Rebel for Yelmic Dara Happans but the Red Emperor is a
> bit
> *more* than just the 77th Emperor. After all, the LE is much more
> pragmatic

But still a product of culture.

> if not downright tolerant than its solar predecessor and the Lunar
> religion
> is also syncretic and all-inclusive. Thus why the prohibition?

They just don't fit.

The Lunars are fond of Authority Derived From Above. The Orlathi leaders rely on authority derived from their followers.

Order vs Freedom
Urban vs Rural

And both Orlanth and Urox are utterly opposed to Chaos. And that can't be tolerated. Basically, even if the Empire wanted peace, the Uroxi are _compelled_ to attack various Lunar (NOT Dara Happan) functionaries and worshippers.

And the Orlanthi are resisting being brought into the Way. That cant' be allowed. We have to have EVERYONE otherwise the Universe can't be healed.

> Christoph
>
> > I have heard of other powers. Can you tell me the truth about them?
> >
> > All the gods who came before the Lunar Goddess are obsolete. These
> obsolete
> > gods include the sky gods, earth goddesses, sea gods, darkness gods,
> and
> > primitive spirits. They are stuck in their old ways, which once hurt
> the
> > Creator unto death. The Red Goddess is the part of the Creator which
> has
> > already been healed. We worship her and the New Gods.

> > ...Orlanth?
> >
> > Orlanth is the breath of the Creator, stale and wheezing out a
> troubled
> > existence. His creed is change and freedom, yet he is unfree and
> unchangeable.
> > He resists the Goddess' liberation and suffers because of it, but
> with
> > compassion the Red Goddess reaches out to him and will prevail. He
> shall be
> > freed.

Its very good to show compassion. But when the Orlathi have burned down or raided _again_ Something Has To Be Done.

> > Gods of the Lunar Pantheon

> > Creator
> >
> > This entity, now crippled and stunted, is the spirit of the cosmos.
> The Red
> > Goddess, bless her, has taken up the task of his
> > healing. When she has succeeded, she will be his bride and queen.

To succeed, she has to bring ALL under her sway. The Orlanthi persist in resistance. That just can't be tolerated.

Jeff