Re: Why are Orlanth and Urox prohibited?

From: Peter Nordstrand <doctorpeace_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:35:52 +0100 (CET)

Christoph Kohring:

> I've always had trouble understanding why the Lunar
> Empire would prohibit any storm cult (ie Orlanth and
> Urox). I know that Orlanth is the Ultimate Rebel for
> Yelmic Dara Happans but the Red Emperor is a bit
> *more* than just the 77th Emperor. After all, the LE
> is much more pragmatic if not downright tolerant
than
> its solar predecessor and the Lunar religion
> is also syncretic and all-inclusive. Thus why the
> prohibition?

Orlanth refuses to accept the Red Goddess as his superior. Orlanth and Sedenya are fighting over the same divine "territory": the middle air, even though she proved her right to exist at Castle Blue.

If only Orlanth would subject to the rule of the Goddess, she would have no problem accepting him, but he won't, so he has to be suppressed.

Another reason: Orlanth is the main deity of those troublesome hill barbarians that the Empire has conquered. They get their magic from him. Magic is power. Take their magic, and their god, away from them, and they will cease to exist.

BTW, I fail to see why the quote from Gods of Glorantha should indicate something else. Orlanth refuses to be healed by the Goddess. Instead he has chosen to become her enemy. Get rid of him!

Hail the Reaching Moon!

/Peter Nordstrand

Do You Yahoo!?
Ditt_namn_at_... - skaffa en gratis mailadress p� http://mail.yahoo.se